Monday, May 4, 2009

Intervention

"My name is Sabrina. S-A-B-R-I-N-A. I have gross motor skill delays."

The Early Intervention program is actually great, but the name isn't so hot. Reminds me an awful lot of the A&E show Intervention, and that just isn't a show that makes you feel good. Maybe the last two minutes of show where there was a successful intervention can be a tad uplifting, but I rarely make it all the way to end, so to me, it's just a ginormous downer that I watch with a sick level of voyeuristic interest. Until the intervention part, oddly enough. I just like knowing someone drinks more than me, I think.

Sabrina's Early Intervention assessments were last week and overall, things went really well. She had a much better reaction to physical therapy in our home than she ever did in the office. We actually did some physical therapy for a change. Maybe someday we'll get to those neck exercises to help the torticollis, the whole freaking reason we're in this situation to begin with.

She's a much different baby now than she was when she first started physical therapy. She now is actually making an attempt at being mobile, whereas for the first several months of her life she was totally content being basically immobile. Now, the child is trying desperately to crawl and is rolling around like a mother fucker. Honestly, if it weren't for her little flat head and her torticollis, I wouldn't have any concerns about her developement at this point. I'd just figure she's on the slower range of normal and that's just fine with me.

I'll get a report card next week from the coordinator that evaluated all of her other areas, but she basically said physical therapy is all she needs so it doesn't look like they've discovered anything else for me to worry about endlessly.

Next up: neurologist. Here's hoping that appointment goes just as well.

3 comments:

Sally's World said...

our physio is a godsend, good luck at the nuerologist!

Sasha & Mark said...

I'm glad the PT is going better at home. And fingers crossed for a neurologist appt!

Aunt Becky said...

Man, I hope you have an awesome neuro appointment.