Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's easy to be THAT parent.

And? Also quite gratifying.

You know the one. The one that knows everything. That gloats and brags how great their child is. That has never had a problem with any of the issues that keep many of us awake most nights. The one that you're pretty sure is a big fucking liar.

To be honest, we've never really had the opportunity to be that parent. Partly because we aren't liars, partly because we have some social skills, but mainly because, well....let's just say Sabrina isn't typically ahead of the pack when it comes to things discussed on the playground (as if we discuss anything on the playground, but still).

Despite other set backs, she has always been an incredible sleeper. She loves to sleep, slept through the night early and consistently, and has generally made our lives much easier with her desire to sleep for long periods at a time. This important skill has led her to her latest achievement, which I find myself (mostly internally) bragging about, and even though it's only been a few days, I also seem to think I know everything and anything about this subject.

The accomplishment: transitioning to a big girl bed.

Verdict? Fucking flawless. It's as if she never had a crib. At 20 months old.

She is ah-mazing. Okay, it's only been 5 days, but we only had 3 incidents of getting out of bed and that was all within a 10 minute period right when she went to bed the first night. Regardless, whenever I hear people talking about the transition or having problems with it with their child, I seem to think I have the answer. And know everything about it. Even though we didn't have a single hiccup.

It's obnoxious. But I must say, it is more enjoyable to be on this side than the side that is googling developmental delays while simultaneously wringing my hands (I'm talented) and getting an ulcer. I could get used to this side.

2 comments:

jbrooke81 said...

Your honesty is so refreshing and hilarious!

Yay for flawless transitions!!

April K. said...

It is totally OK to be able to be that parent once in awhile...I find myself in that same situation occasionally. :) However, the ones who are like that all the eff-ing time are seriously more than I can take. Sometimes it's all I can do to NOT punch them in the face and run away laughing! :)

P.S. congrats on the flawless transition.

thepinkpuppydog.blogspot.com